On Friday, February 13, 2015 09:19:28 PM Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Mark Constable writes:

> > > That anyone would be me. In general, I'm happy to look at proposals for
> > > tweaks to the web site's appearance. However, two things need to be kept
> > > in
> > > mind:
> > >
> > > 1) I'm naturally resistant to radical, inside-out rewrites. I'll be more
> > > receptive to many, smaller changes, in steps.
> >
> > Except in the case where a mobile friendly site is required as that would
> > involve serious re-engineering. I know you would argue "it's not required"
> > but a good deal of the rest of us would suggest it is and/or will be in
> > the coming years.
> >
> > How would you feel if a few of us "took" the docfiles and see if we can
> > come up with a (most likely Bootstrap based) "modern" website?

This is kind of what I had in mind. Working with Bootstrap is easy and it
really does look and function better.

> > What I mean is if "we" could come up with some system that was mobile
> > friendly and stay in sync with the canonical site that you could provide
> > an "official" link to it from your site?

I don't think it's necessary to host anything on another site.  The source
looks relatively easy to change. It's just a matter of tweaking the output
from the stylesheets.

> Sure, and I already link to a Japanese language site that someone maintains.
>
> But out of curiosity – what exactly is the problem with viewing www.courier-
> mta.org from a mobile phone. I just tried it with Firefox mobile, and
> everything looks perfect. The web site does not use any funky javascript,
> only simple CSS and HTML. The individual pages are, perhaps, larger than a
> typical mobile web site page, but because everything is simple, plain HTML,
> everything renders and scrolls quickly.

On my mobile at least, with Chrome, the menu is extremely tiny and practically
impossible to use without zooming in about 15 times.  The nice thing about
Bootstrap is that everything is much more consistent, especially with fonts
and the menu is much easier to use.  I think we can keep the amount of fancy
javascript  to a minimum. It's easy enough to build a custom version of
bootstrap without stuff we don't need. Same goes with the CSS files it
generates.

> But, pretty much everything on the web site is in the git repo, for anyone
> to grab. /courier/courier/doc contains pretty much the entire website, in
> Docbook XML. The tarball doesn't package the Docbook source in that
> directory, only the end result. Consequently, the git repo includes only the
> Docbook XML, and not any of the generated files.
>
> The only thing that's missing from the git repo is a script that builds
> download.html from download.php. This can be done, for testing purposes, by
> creating an empty download.lst file in the same directory, and running the
> file through php.

I had planned on coming up with something over the next week or so and
breaking it up into a couple of patches. I was hoping when I asked my initial
question that courier was on github and I just couldn't find it. I would've
created a git pull request. I haven't looked into Sourceforge's Github
capabilities, so I didn't know if there was a similar feature.