In data giovedì 19 marzo 2015 14:04:58, Matus UHLAR - fantomas ha scritto:
> Do you _need_ to move to new hardware?

Yes I do, but, more importantly, I'm forced to move to a new IP address.

> If you need to upgraqde your hardware, you can set up the new server, copy
> user settings and data, and configure it as backuprelay for the old host, so
> the mail stuck in queue get sent within a few hours.
>
> however, you must avoid receiving new mail on old server, by turning it off.
> you can do that by disabling services (and thus be unreachable), or moving
> password database first, switching DNS and copying user data finally.

I've tried to combine your suggestions with the ones from Stefan. I ended up
with the following migration path:

1. set DNS propagation time to minimum
2. Install new server & configure all domains & accounts
3. rsync imap files / email messages to new server
4. test setup on new server
5. Configure new server as backup relay in DNS
6. wait propagation of 5
7. disable SMTP daemon (port 25 only) on old server
8. update pop/imap DNS records to point to new server
9. rsync again
10. wait propagation of 8
11. switch MX records in DNS
12. reverse 1.

Please advice if you notice blatant mistakes.