From: Alessandro Vesely [mailto:ves...@tana.it]
Sent: November-12-15 3:23 AM
To: Courier Users
Subject: [courier-users] No SPF reject during DNS outage. How come?

Hi!

I received a bunch of spam marked like this:

  by wmail.tana.it with ESMTP; Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:55:57 +0100
  id 00000000005DC042.0000000056445431.00005BFC
Received-SPF: error (Address does not pass the Sender Policy Framework)
  SPF=MAILFROM;
  sender=zl...@tana.it;
  remoteip=210.205.1.118;
  remotehost=softdnserr;
  helo=[210.205.1.118];
  receiver=wmail.tana.it;

The "softdnserr" presumably came from DNS outage.  The NS was disconnected for
quite some time, so only internal stuff was being resolved during reception.
Thus, Courier could get a -all SPF record for tana.it, but not the reverse IP
for that Korean address.

However, I tried to reproduce that behavior to no avail.  At the console, I
always got _517 SPF fail_ after MAIL FROM:, even if I disconnected the NS
again.  My Courier version is getting old, but this doesn't seem to be related
to the recent SPF fix, does it?

Any other idea?

TIA
Ale