Mark Constable writes:

On 01/01/16 23:39, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> /usr/lib/courier/sbin/imapd references $IMAPACCESSFILE
>
> Right. Looks like a packaging bug. The imapd configuration file
>  should be setting IMAPACCESSFILE.

Thanks Sam and Gordon, I'm actually helping the guy putting some 0.75
*buntu packages together, up from 0.73, and I could not find any
reference to what the -access= arg should be for IMAP. It's only when
I did a "which makeimapaccess" after Gordons message that the penny
dropped. No doubt it works the same as smtpaccess. Could be handy.

The stock imapd configuration file references IMAPACCESSFILE, and so does the startup script. If installed from source, everything should be working correctly.

The missing piece is the need to run the sysconftool script when installing an updated package. When this change landed, this would've correctly added the IMAPACCESSFILE setting into the existing config file.