Christopher Rüprich writes:

I'm using BLACKLISTS='-block=[...],BLOCK2' in /etc/courier/esmtp to
check incoming mail against a couple of dns-blacklists. I'd like to make
the result available to a maildrop-script in delivery mode, so I can
deliver junk-mails directly to the users junk-folder.

As far as I know BLOCK2 is not available in delivery mode. In embedded
mode, maildrop doesn't allow the xfilter-command, so I also cannot
insert an X-Spam-header to pass the result of the check to the delivery
module using $/.mailfilters/rcptfilter. Is there any other way to make
the content of BLOCK2 available to the delivery module? I feel I am
missing something obvious as I'm sure I am not the only one trying to
use BLOCK2 in the delivery module.

This would require custom programming. The esmtp server does not deliver the message itself. The message gets added to the mail queue, and a separate process handles the eventual delivery.

As such, the esmtp server's environment is not accessible when mail gets delivered, and in most likelyhood the entire process is gone by then.

A custom courierfilter plugin can add a header to the received mail, based on the BLOCK2 environment variable, which will make it available during delivery. This will require custom programming.

That's the state of things today. I might be sufficiently motivated to add a configurable option to have the contents of BLOCK2, or any other variable, get added to the headers of received mail, so that it can be filterable upon delivery.