On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 06:47:14 Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> David Niklas writes:
>
> > Hello,
> > I've been following the imap man page (this is a fresh install), and I
> > su'ed into my test account and netcat to 127.0.0.1 143. I then
> > entered: C: login test 1234
> > S: login NO Error in  IMAP command received by server.
> >
> > Now, there may be no error, but it sure is strange to get that message
> > no-matter what command I enter.
> > I figure that maybe there's a database I need to fill in with names
> > and passwords.
> > What do I do?
>
> Each IMAP command starts with a command identifier, which is an
> arbitrary label. The letter "a" will be sufficient.
>
> a login userid password

Did this, I'm still getting the same result. Here's more info:
I start couriertcpd:
root # couriertcpd -address=127.0.0.1 -nodnslookup -noidentlookup
143 /usr/bin/imapd /home/test/Maildir

I tried using ./Maildir, but then root does not have a Maildir so
connecting from  my test account returns "no such file or...".
Changing the path to an absolute one, I set -user and -group to test
(changing owner to match and I get:
* BYE Your account is temporarily unavailable (+t bit set on home
directory)
And couriertcpd says that the dir is locked.
). If the dir is set so that the user is test and the group is mail and I
start couriertcpd with -user and -group set to mail I get the same result.
Changing the user to root returns that the dir is not owned by the
correct user.
Finally, running imapd from the test account it seems that I'm already
logged in:

% imapd
* PREAUTH Ready.
INFO: LOGIN, user=test ip=[127.0.0.1], port=[0], protocol=IMAP
Z SELECT INBOX
Z NO UNABLE TO OPEN THIS  MAILBOX.

I created three folders inside Maildir named Inbox, INBOX, and inbox
then  tried again without success.

Thanks,
David