David Niklas writes:

I tried using ./Maildir, but then root does not have a Maildir so
connecting from  my test account returns "no such file or...".
Changing the path to an absolute one, I set -user and -group to test
(changing owner to match and I get:
* BYE Your account is temporarily unavailable (+t bit set on home
directory)

What part of this error message is unclear?

And couriertcpd says that the dir is locked.

And what's unclear about that?

Finally, running imapd from the test account it seems that I'm already
logged in:

% imapd
* PREAUTH Ready.
INFO: LOGIN, user=test ip=[127.0.0.1], port=[0], protocol=IMAP
Z SELECT INBOX
Z NO UNABLE TO OPEN THIS  MAILBOX.

No, it means that imapd is not started correctly, or from the wrong directory. imapd must be started from the account's maildir, not its home directory.