Standard stuff:
http://www.irs.gov/publications/pM 535/ch08.html#d0e5315

This was very handy in my previous startup as we
were able to break even claiming $5k in startup,
thus no income tax.

The take-home on this is that if you (anyone reading
this) hanker to start a business, a very good first task
is to get your accounting in order and run your "business"
as a business before you hang out your shingle.

--
http://tinobox.org/wordpress/
linkedin, facebook, twitter, etc.