From: coworking@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Todd Sundsted
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:26 AM
To: Coworking
Subject: [Coworking] Re: Common Coworking Software (was Co-Working
Directory)

Derek: this is *great* piece of work!  (Said as someone who has spent
altogether too much time hunting for spaces in the past!)

All: Drew Jones and I have been discussing the topic of common coworking
software recently, and this post kindled that discussion again.

Off-the-shelf tools like wiki's, blogs, etc. are great time-savers and can
get an idea off the ground quickly.  However, their limits become apparent
at some point of growth.  You could probably find a way to tack disqus onto
the wiki to add conversations, etc. but I'm sure you all understand the
problem and the limitations of that ad hoc approach.

There has been talk in the past about open source membership management
software, etc.  With coworking visas now in play, the challenge of
contacting an owner/manager when you're in town, finding a space in the
first place, finding/reserving a desk, managing payment, etc. there's an
opportunity for the right tool to simplify the process of setting up and
managing a space.  With New Work City in the wings here in NYC, I'm being
reminded of all of these issues again.

So I'm gauging interest in this project.  There are enough hot shots at work
in coworking spaces, and enough great technologies out there (OpenID, etc.)
that we could build and sustain an open source project like this.

Todd