Hi Kelly,

    I attend a monthly networking event in Dallas called Startup Happy
Hour, and their policy on this matter is very simple: No sales pitches
allowed. Small business owners and entrepreneurs are the intended
audience, but they must check their salesperson hat at the door and
enjoy meeting people doing interesting things without pushing products
on them. If you make that policy clear to your attendees before they
arrive, it will make enforcing the policy much easier. I've found that
people who are unwilling to meet people for the sake of building real
relationships are a drain on events, and should be asked to leave
anyway.

Hope this helps,

   Chris