This coworking group exists because we've all learned a wealth of
knowledge from each other and have a firm commitment to the greater
community to in turn help everyone achieve success and sustainability.
Over the past three years (congratulations everyone), this sharing has
cemented the methodology for opening a successful coworking space.
Followed properly these steps are financially low-risk and move at the
pace of the community's needs. By jumping steps or opening a coworking
space in a vacuum you're making a high-risk move that could result in
something nobody wants, financial loss or worse, the closing of your
space.

These low-risk steps start with going out into the community and
talking about coworking but mostly listening (this is something that
Alex mentions again and again as being important) which will help you
discover what the needs and desires of the community are.  If there is
no community then you build one through jellys or meetups. Once you
have the support of the community the next low-risk step would be
getting a commitment (not necessarily financial immediately) out of
the people who will become your anchors when you find a space. The
next low-risk step would be to document your search for a space based
on the stated needs of the community. With the community behind an
idea you're less likely to take a financial or business bath when you
open the space. Additional low-risk steps that relate to financials
would be to build based on the usage of your community, ie not
spending money on superfluous equipment until demonstrated need.

Low-risk steps and high transparency to your community and to the
google coworking group are essential for all of this. By doing this
you can immediately avoid problems like an empty space or thinking you
need an advertising or marketing budget to make your space successful.
By dropping a space into the landscape and saying "it's here, everyone
come" you're not only taking high-risk but you're working backwards
from a PROVEN methodology that will allow you to open with a path
towards success and a leg up towards sustainability. The most
successful coworking spaces have been the ones who have been the most
open with their process to both of these communities from the
beginning.Tara and Alex and Jacob and others were incredibly helpful
in the infancy of Caroline Collective preventing us from taking
financial or community missteps that could result in reduced success
for the space.

I dont' think anyone's arguing against forming a strategy but forming
a business plan for a coworking space before having a community behind
it might be putting the cart in front of the horse. A business plan if
eventually needed, should be simple because you can cull from
discussions with the community: the ones who will ultimately utilize
the coworking space, financially contribute, provide sweat equity and
ultimately evangelize the virtues of coworking. From another
standpoint, you already have a dynamic business plan and business
advisors: this google group, several posts by members of the coworking
community and the coworking wiki. There's enough information in those
places as well as the wealth of resources from the voices on the
google group that can help overcome any problem that people will come
up against. But this is only if you are open and transparent about
these problems.

Matthew

--
Matthew Wettergreen, Ph.D