I'd also point out that, anecdotally, I've seen spaces have to work much
harder to fill coworking when they offer both options (private offices and
open coworking layouts). The problem, I think, is that private offices are
familiar, and people will gravitate towards the things that are most
familiar to them.

Culturally, giving people a chance to even see a familiar option inhibits
their ability to walk into a coworking space open minded...something that
we've found helps get people acclimated to the "different" ways of working.
Anything you can do to make the first moments of seeing your workspace be
strikingly different, to elicit the "ok, I'm ready for anything today"
feeling from your new prospectives will mean they are likely to get more out
of their first day, and more likely to join as coworkers that contribute to
the culture of the space that you're trying to engender.

There's some chaos that comes with open spaces, and they aren't for
everyone. We do turn people away who are looking for private offices. But
we've also tried having private offices and the value their inhabitants
added as contributing members of the coworking community were much lower
than the average.

>From a business perspective, since that is worth considering,...open
floorplans also mean more flexibility and therefore opportunity for revenue.
Offices have a fixed price, a market value that's hard to change in your
members' eyes. Even if you're introducing all of the "warm fuzzies" of
coworking, a desk is still only worth a certain amount.

Whereas coworking space and open, flexible floorplans provide an opportunity
for creating new price points. Flexible space means that optimizing for
growth is much easier. And finally...while anchor members are important for
establishing your revenue base, having flexible desk options means that so
long as you can fill them, your revenue potential per flex desk is likely to
be higher than your anchor desks! In our case, a flex desk has a maximum
revenue potential of $300/month (our most expensive monthly plan). But a
flex desk with a basic member at it every day is has a potential of $600,
and a flex desk with a drop in at it every day has a potential of $1000.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia