Thanks Alex, I agree that some case studies would be important in validating
the potential.  Mike Schinckel from Ignition Alley/Startup Atlanta contacted
me off-list and mentioned that he's had some conversations with some ED
folks who "get it".  He posed a really interesting question:  "have you
identified yourself as a new breed of economic development director by an
identifiable name or perspective (I'm thinking of "branding" here?)"  I
haven't (I no longer work for the city) nor do I know anyone who has.  But
it's a really good idea.  We've had enough informal conversations to know
that a range of people (elected officials, ED professionals, commercial
realtors, incubator managers, service providers,and even a few stodgy VC's)
are beginning to see a teensy bit of the light.

Like Alex, I'd like to hear more from those of you who have tried (both
successfully and not) to engage, broadly speaking, in the economic
development conversation.  I've found that people are generally receptive to
the idea.  But when the rubber meets the road, the programs and policy
infrastructure simply do not accommodate our needs as a coworking space, nor
the needs of the members that we serve.  Alex's example of Comcast is a
really good case in point.

Okay, hope to hear more from the list on this topic.  And I'm looking
forward to meeting many of you at SXSW.

Cheers,
Jeremy
http://nextspace.us/