Laban, this is not a conglomerate; it's a movement.  Coworking will
prosper with or without coworking.com: there is no threat of 'losing
everything.'

This thread has veered away from an important issue: how will this
community fund it's needs.  The purchase of coworking.com was well
executed and should serve as the foundation for developing community
fundraising best practices.

Community Fundraising Procedure
[The Purchase of Coworking.com]

1. An individual conceives a project idea.
[Alex decides he wants to buy coworking.com]
2. He/she articulates the project idea to the community.
[Alex informs the Coworking Google Group that he wants to buy
Coworking.com.]
3. Community provides feedback on the idea.
[Community tells Alex it's interested.]
4. He/she estimates the amount needed for the project.
[Alex figures out how much he needs to raise to buy the the domain.]
5. He/she solicits the community for the amount the project needs.
[Alex solicits the community via the Coworking Google Group.]
5. Community donates funds into the account specified in the
solicitation.
[Alex asks people to send him funds to buy the domain.]
6. The individual keeps the donors and community updated about the
project's progress.
[Alex provides periodic reports on his progress to the Coworking
Google Group.]
7. The individual provides proof of project completion.
[Alex invites us all to coworking.com]

I think this serves as a good model that we can improve and articulate
more clearly.

Full disclosure: I run beex.org, a community fundraising platform that
individuals can use to raise money for nonprofits.  We're also opening
a coworking space.  It's my intention to bring coworking and the
nonprofit sector together.  Nonprofits can provide our movement with
tax-free fundraising vehicles.  We can provide them with support,
space and paradigm shifting ways to organize.  Exciting stuff.