There was an interesting debate about this at the SXSW talk on
coworking that I attended.  Gary Swart discussed coworking as NOT
necessitating co-location. (You can see the video of his talk on the
LifeSize Communications Facebook page: http://bit.ly/dhRXR7 )  One guy
went up to the mic during question/answer time and basically accused
Swart of hijacking the term "coworking," that the definition of
coworking IS being in the same location.  The next video (click
"Next") addresses this too, especially the 3rd question.  I wish I had
captured the guy that got angry at Swart, though!

Sarah