Blair,

We looked into this pretty hard for Cincinnati Coworks and asked a
broker.  What we concluded was that no insurer would offer major
medical health insurance to a group unless it was a company (i.e. each
group member pulled a W-2).  Some insurers might insure a group of of
consultants thru the consulting company, but the consulting company
would need to present a certain number of 1099 hours each year or
something like that.

We did find an insurance company (Colonial Life) that was willing to
offer group rates for these newly popular "gap" insurance products
(think AFLAC) such as accident, life insurance, and cancer insurance.
But no disability and again no major medical.

That said, based on informal polling, most of our members have some
sort of private, high-deductible insurance with an HSA, and have been
happy with that, even for families.

YMMV,
Gerard
http://cincycoworks.com