On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Rob Hudson <caveat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I say get them the hell out before they piss off members and give your space
> a bad name. I'd have no issue banning their specific practices. What happens
> when they start using your shared wifi for spam or other semi legal
> purposes?

I know lots of MLM types (almost all are annoying on some level), but
I have yet to see any of them jeopardize common WiFi for spam or "semi
legal purposes."

Most of them don't know how to do it (that's usually why they're MLM),
and unless you have an onsite SMTP server that they are using, what do
you really have to worry about?  Most email providers require that you
authenticate to their SMTP server before you send, and when you do,
you're limited to x amount (50 or so) per email blast.  If they get a
complaint (Spamhaus, Spamcop, etc), then they lock the account.  Their
provider's IP is the one at risk for blacklisting.

This is more of a question of shared values.  If you tell a MLM person
that s/he is cramping the style of the other people with their
constant solicitations, then most of the time, they get it.  This sort
of thing is really no different than some people who always hit on
others of the opposite sex, and someone eventually talks to them on
the side about how annoying they're coming across.

--
Also on LinkedIn?  Feel free to connect if you too are an open
networker: scubac...@gmail.com