It is said that every business has a natural scale; but I think every
entrepreneur has a natural scale also.  It is my considered opinion
that the natural scale of coworking is global; it is further my
opinion that the natural scale of any coworking space is hyperlocal.
I find the notion of successful combination of the two scales
intoxicating, really.  But here are my thoughts, disorganized as they
are.

In many ways you touch on a larger question which is floating around
in the human conversation just at the moment for many reasons,
Coworking is just the place we are encountering it just now.  It is
about, oh, technology and a changing workforce, about globalization
and social equity, it is about gender politics and sustainability.  We
can unpack it any number of ways.

It is tempting with all the tools we have to plunge off into exploring
all the uses for them; but the reality is that this is primarily of
interest for the mobile knowledge workers who are a very small
percentage of the workers in the world who actually could and do use a
coworking approach.  The rest of the world still works and lives
within a couple kilometers of their house and while the glories of
intercontinental communication are fun and interesting, they do not
for these people put bread on the table.   In my own community the
primary interest in coworking comes from professionals and semi
professionals, but not in IT mostly.

As a former military brat (born at Fort Mac, yay)  I can say that I
have come to believe that every place which self-identifies (as a
city, a county, a district, however they define themselves) has a
character.  I don't know if it is in the water or what, but as people
form places, places also form people.  Franchising or standardizing
along any lines which do not take that into account does not interest
me personally.  I have no desire to stop anybody else from doing it, I
just don't want to go there.

If I were to set up a chain of coworking spaces, I would standardize
them by their local character:  my current space is about gracious
hospitality and coming home, quality over flash and and feeling a part
of an established order. If I were to open in Rotterdam, I have to
tell you that it would be all about the flash and the bling-bling, but
also about making your life the way you want it and changing the
established order to suit.  In Den Bosch it would be all about fun and
energy and celebrating life, and in the Hague it would be about being
connected.

My first impulse on reading your post was really that the basis of
this argument will split roughly along gender lines -- having fought
in the gender wars, made documentaries about same (still working on
one now!) and examined it in all sorts of ways I have to say that I
still think that it will. (Dudes, don't be scared off by this comment;
it is a description, not a prescription).  Leading and serving your
own tribe maniacally well is worth doing.

I actually had the following experience and because I am stupid it
took me three years to figure it out:  I can have a square foot garden
in Atlanta and feed my family pretty reliably from it.  I can also
have one in Oosterhout and do the same.  The framework will be the
same -- same boxes and same dirt and seeds and blah, blah.  But what
is growing there and the techniques I bring to bear will have to be be
vastly different.

Whether coworking should grow is for me sort of an academic question:
it is doing so. It is fun to watch it grow.  I confess freely, I am
not about the why of things but about the how of things.  So somebody
else can come along and deal with they why bit.  But whether any
particular approach should grow and scale?  Maybe.  I myself favor a
hyperlocal approach with global (interstellar as necessary, should
SETI pan out :-)) communication/access.  It's why I am here.

That should be enough to chew on for a starter. :-)

Laters,
Jeannine

On Mar 15, 5:47 am, Angel Kwiatkowski <[email protected]> wrote:
> When I disagreed with a statement that coworking spaces need to scale
> and grow, it caused quite a stir at the Coworking Unconference. I've
> been marinating on my decision to make that feeling public and I'm
> real glad I put my feelings right out there. I found this blog post
> that I wrote last August-only 5 months after Cohere 
> opened.http://coherecommunity.com/?p=1377"Business Growth: An
> Argument." [I'm nothing if not extremely consistent!] :)
>
> Cohere got her legs under her at the 5 month mark and every person I
> met out on the street wanted to know when I was going to expand or
> open a second location. Check out the blog post and weigh in here or
> in the comments on the blog with your opinion on whether or not (or
> how) coworking spaces should expand/grow/replicate.
>
> Angel

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Coworking" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.

Reply via email to