Angel:

When I talked about scale in the context of coworking, I was referring
to the industry – not individual coworking facilities.  But I didn’t
explain this well.

Several years ago we did a study on how small business owners define
success.  The quick summary of the results is most small business
owners are not interested in growing or creating a big business.  Most
simply want their businesses to be large enough to support their
lifestyle, fit with their values, meet their work/life balance goals,
and/or let them pursue a passion.

The blog post summarizing the research is at:
http://genylabs.typepad.com/small_biz_labs/2008/08/how-many-types.html

Our own firm, Emergent Research, is an example.  We are a “lifestyle
business” with no interest in growing beyond our current size.  So we
absolutely agree that small, no growth small businesses can be
successful.  Ours certainly is.

What I was attempting to get across at the Coworking Unconference was
the need for the industry to have business models that enable
coworking to be sustained economically so it can grow to meet an
increasing demand for a place where independent and distributed
workers can thrive.

We believe coworking will play an important economic role in the
future.  Shifts in the economy are leading to increasing numbers of
contingent workers (freelancers, contractors, self-employed, etc.).

Over the next decade that number is likely to approach half of the
overall workforce.  So far, many of these people are not faring well
in the new economy.  We think coworking and coworking facilities could
greatly improve their work lives and their chances of earning a
reasonable living.

To do this, there needs to be thousands of coworking facilities in the
US.  This is much more likely to happen if there is a mix of
sustainable business models supporting the movement.

What is sustainable will vary by coworking space owner based on their
individual goals and needs – and that’s fine.  But given the high
coworking facility churn rate (meaning closures) and lots of feedback
from coworking owners who tell us they aren’t sure they are going to
make it, we feel these models are yet to be fully defined.

Steve