You can read some of my thoughts on the evolving library:

http://window.punkave.com/2009/01/30/junto-rethinking-the-library/

http://window.punkave.com/2009/01/20/what-should-a-modern-librarys-website-be/

You also might be interested in reading about the library outpost model:

http://natehill.wordpress.com/2008/03/15/library-outposts-a-new-service-model-for-urban-public-libraries/