This is some of the best simple Coworking math I've seen in a single post.
It certainly belongs in the wiki. Thanks Jasper!

-Alex

On Friday, August 5, 2011, Jazzman3 <jasperwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chad:
>
> We researched this as we worked on DurangoSpace (prior to our Feb 1st
> opening this year).
>
> Here are the rules of thumb we came across:
>
> For each coworker, you need about 100 SF, so our 2,600 SF DurangoSpace
> facility can handle about 20 to 25 people (coworking, meetings, casual
> space).    And the usage rate, is about 3:1 or 2:1.   So for 2,600SF,
> you can service 40 to 50 members, depending on how "crowded" or empty
> you are managing the space.    Research show coworking or shared space
> occupation rates at 35% to 50% of members using the coworking space on
> any given day.
>
> For hard break even, we are using gross rent X 1.5   (to cover rent
> and utilities and basic costs).    To make money we are figuring gross
> rent X 2.5 to 3.5.    So how are we doing so far?    Some months we
> have barely made rent and dug into start up funds for utilities.
> Last month we turned a small profit, but we still have a ways to go.
>
> Our pricing (see our web site), based on the formulas above:
>   Daily Pass=$20/day     5-day (5% off), 10-day (10% off), 15-day
> (20%off)   These are "open spaces"
>   Monthly daily membership at $225/month, with a 24/7 at $265/month
>   Semi-private (2 members per closed or private office) would be at
> $365/month.
>
> And we rent our private meeting and conference room space at member
> and non-member rates.
>
> Hope this helps...
>
> Jasper
>
> Jasper Welch & Nancy Wharton
> DurangoSpace LLC
> http://durangospace.com
>

> On Jul 27, 10:26 am, Chad Ballantyne <c...@thecreativespace.ca> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We've been doing open space membership plans for a while and now we're
moving to closed office options.
>> Right now a full-time member for an open desk is $300/mth  Works out to
$6/sf  But a closed office adds more value and how best to figure that out.
 Does anyone have a formula to calculate?  Another factor is multiple staff.
 We know what we need to pay for the space, but wondered if there's a
formula out there to add our specific costs (lease, expenses, management,
etc) and therefor communicate cleary to potential members the difference
between open space and closed office.  Thanks!

>> Chad Ballantyne
>> The Creative Space Director
>>
>> (705) 252-2423www.thecreativespace.ca

/ah