I've been wondering: 100 sqft per person is the legacy standard for
conventional office space. That generally would be cubicles and private
offices. According to an architect here, much of that 100 sq ft number comes
from rated safe floor load capacity with heavy desks and filing cabinets. Is
the 100 sqft in the coworking world a carryover from this, or is it the
desire for an open floor plan and not wanting to feel cramped like working
at a Starbucks table? Or is it that coworking has more "unoccupied space" -
hallways, bathrooms, closets, foosball playrooms? Do you count your
conference rooms as unoccupied space or as a regular workspace? What size
desk/table top do your members use? I've seen some posts say their location
has 5 foot tables, others have 4 foot ones.

To ask it another way, did we arrive at this number from actual experience,
or was it the architect saying 100 sqft, the city permitting office saying
you're an office so occupancy is at no more than 100 sqft and we've gone
with those numbers rather than "fight city hall" and seek out our own
optimum density?

I'm working through some occupancy issues with my city at the moment - we'd
like to be able to hold an occasional lecture or conference, and that can
change some of our space usage to 7.5 sqft per person - so space usage and
occupancy are on my mind right now.

- Glen