We (Workantile in Ann Arbor) offer discounted student memberships, although
we don't push them very hard. We have three student members currently, a
law student and two School of Information grad students from the University
of Michigan. They have become valued members of the community.

Another space in town, the Tech Brewery <http://www.techbrewery.org/>,
which is really a tech startup incubator and coworking facility rolled into
one, has a close relationship with the university, and has quite a few
students either interning at one of the companies housed in the space, or
house startups begun by recent grads.

Quite a few of our members are trailing spouses - people who are in Ann
Arbor because their spouses/significant others are doing grad or postdoc
work at Michigan. Most of the trailing spouses are remote employees who
would much rather be at Workantile than working at home or in coffee shops.
The others are freelance consultants, software jocks, or whatever. We are
planning to try to work with the university to get them to refer trailing
spouses to us, since the ones here already find our community so valuable
and we think this can be a real selling point for the university as it
tries to attract top talent to its grad schools.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Alex Hillman
<dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I know of more than a handful of coworking spaces that have developed
> partnerships with local universities. Have any worked directly with the
> student population? Success/failure stories to share?
>
> -Alex
>
> /ah
> indyhall.org
> coworking in philadelphia