Thanks for your comments, Will. Reason #3 is exactly why I'm
considering the switch. The reason I'm thinking about changing our
cost structure isn't really a cash flow issue, as most people that
join our space do so at our highest rate, and stick around for 7 - 8
months, which is actually really good for where we're located - it
needs to be much better though. As a space focused primarily on
supporting the (slow) growing Delaware startup community, we're very
happy to provide people with a safe place to get on their feet. Even
better, the majority of the startups that have come out of The coIN
Loft found co-founders at our events or working next to them in the
space. We're certainly building up a great story.

The other side:
Delaware has always been starved for independent talent, which is
obviously bad for a coworking space. We have a deep history as a
corporate state, so most people that come here to build a career are
doing it at legacy companies, in the banking, pharma and law related
industries. With Delaware being such a small state the lines of
competitiveness have been thoroughly entrenched for many years - way
before The coIN Loft came around. There are a few non-profit
professional organizations (chambers of commerce, rotary groups,
networking groups) and economic development groups (sba & its
affiliates) that rule over the entrepreneurial community here. These
places aren't communities - they're bragging rights - so you're a
nobody as a professional if you don't join their circles. Despite all
of our PR and marketing efforts, we've struggled to compete with these
groups. We consistently hear that the month-to-month membership fee is
a deterrent. The other groups, specifically the Chambers of Commerce,
who we're in direct competition with, charge a annual fee, plus fees
for every event. For the penny wise entrepreneur, they're looking at
either $300 per year for the Chamber or $2400 per year for us. It
doesn't take much to see why they'd be slow to choose us. We've
tracked the average time it took a person to join us and found that of
the 80 people that have joined, over 50% thought about it for more
than 5 months before pulling the trigger. They also let us know that
the monthly payments were an issue. I don't think we need to be as
cheap as $300 per year, nor do I think people are expecting that. I
just think we need to disassociate monthly financial requirements as a
barrier to entry. The main reason is that our target audience
(creatives & developers within the first year (hopefully first couple
of months) of their startup) aren't cash flow positive yet. The money
they're using to pay us is also coming out of the reserves they have
to live on until they're financially stable.

I think a fee structure like the one you (Will) use at Locus would
certainly be a good way for us to be thinking about annual
memberships.