And that would be fine, Liam.

Look, I don't run a coworking space (grain of salt disclaimer).

But each one is a community, right?  If not, you're all Regis
franchisers.  A community, a culture, a group.  There may even be
subcultures, sub groups.  (Which would be awesome!)

Each community is not going to be the same.  They are going to be
different.  You, Liam, might fit in one, but not another.  Bare feet
may be anathema at one space, but the uniform du jour at another.

If you don't fit in a coworking space, find one you fit at.  Or start
one.  If the space changes, realize that that happens.  Either work to
change it back, or go along with the changes, or leave.

Now, as to the particular question, I think the proper answer would
have been something along the lines of, "If bare feet are not
comfortable for you, then let's talk about how you can
convince/incentivise/or help the others understand how bare feet don't
work with your business model."  If they can change the culture, more
power to them.  If they can't, at least they've tried.  That's called
being a part of it all.  If they can't, and it gets them pissed off
enough, they'll either try again, or leave.  That's ok, too.  Yes,
paying members are important.  But the culture and community is the
long term gain.

And the way to keep long term paying customers.

Josh