Pros:

1) Flex desks provide the most opportunity for revenue (more members per desk)
2) The space itself can be used for events, etc, more easily without displacing
full time members
3) People don't get as territorial with flex desks, other than preferring a
certain desk on days they are in.
4) Flex memberships can be cheaper and more accessible

Cons:

1) Culturally you need to find an alternative to full time members to "anchor"
the community in the space.
2) It takes more members to provide the same amount of revenue
3) Flexible desks means that some sort of arrangement is needed in order to
keep the space open for flex members.
4) A single price structure doesn't map well to multiple levels of
participation that actually exist within a community.

There are successful models of both kinds, of course. The aspects that are
likely to define your success is what your model for revenue is/needs to be and
more importantly, what do the members want and need? It sounds like you have a
pretty good pulse on the lounge-style needs - if that's what you've determined
makes sense, rock out!

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia