+1 on Jerome about the cash-flow issues, and that's the biggest pro I've come
up with for doing a floating-start-date.

I'd follow that up with not needing to do pro-rating, which can get confusing
quickly.

To answer your questions specifically:
> 1) What do you use for recurring payments for membership dues?
We use Zoho Invoice for this currently.

The biggest plus to this is that it integrates with multiple payment providers
and does automated recurring invoices + reminders.

The advantage to our coworkers is that it gives them flexibility for when they
pay, as they manage their own cash-flow.

The biggest downside to this is that it doesn't store a CC on file, and
invoices can be left out to dry and we end up having to chase people once in a
while. It's a vast minority of our total invoices that end up outstanding (a
fraction of a % total revenue), but that's an artifact of our members more than
the system.

Most people don't pay on time because they forget, not because they meant to
stiff us.
> 2) Do you have it integrated into an online signup on your website so that
> payments are set up automatically upon sign up?
We do not do this because we want to temper the transaction of joining our
community with a human interaction. The signup process is in person, and goes
through a our team to make sure that human contact is made a priority during
the signup process.

This increases our retention rates FAR more than it decreases our signup rates.

> 3) Have you standardized so that payments from all members are due the same
> day of the month?
We do a mid-month billing cycle now, but are looking to do away with it very
soon.
> 4) Do you prorate for partial months when someone signs up mid-month and if
> so, do you handle that manually or does your payment software/plug-in handle
> it?
We do this, and we do it manually, and it sucks :)

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia
building a community? http://masterclass.indyhall.org