I agree, and I think that our edge can be staying aligned with what makes
coworking unique. The first thing I think if looking for ways to implement
add-ons in a way that doesn't feel transactional

t think we're on a different path with add-ons, given a bend away from
"utility" and toward a "participation".

Example: Many spaces are defining models for hosting events. On one end of the
spectrum, you can provided space to host an event. But taking the participation
angle, we can provide the space for a fee to members and partners who want to
do things that contribute to the community: classes, workshops, brainstorms,
presentations, lectures, etc.

The former is consumptive. They utilize the space for a period of time, we get
money in return. If we do a good job, they get value from having been hosted,
and we get money for providing the opportunity.

The latter is additive. In our case, we have members who have gained knowledge
to share (+1 for the organizer for learning by teaching), other members within
and outside of the community who want to gain that knowledge (+1 for the
attendee for the professional/personal development), and we help communicate
the experience in the context of our goals as a community (+1 for expression of
common goals).

Individually these three components would add value. Combining them, though,
can be done so that the sum is greater than the parts. When that happens, the
value can attract more value that doesn't consume the finite resources that we
have to offer.

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia
pre-order the new eBook, "the business of community
(http://book.businessofcommunity.com/?ref=email)"