Hi Matthew,

2012 numbers at the end.

I realize your question is about membership types and how they break down,
but much of what's below will refer to member:desk ratios, since I suspect
that's a big part of what you're trying to figure out.

Just to echo what Alex and Tom wrote, but in a slightly different way: It
depends on your members (Alex) and on your space (Tom). "Your space"
doesn't just mean the type of desks you offer (hot desks only or anchor
desks only), but also on how it's conceived and marketed and every choice
you make (desk sizes, membership-type pricing incentives, access hours,
gender ratios, types of events, quality and variety of meeting room space,
whether monitors are available or can be left in the space, what type of
work the founding members do, neighborhood, etc.). It also depends on what
country you're in and the cultural norms/expectations in that country.

These effects don't just amount to rounding error. I read an article about
a successful writer's space in New York (maybe Paragraph, but I don't
remember; it was a long time ago) and it said they had 30 desks and 300
members, where all members could use the space to write during opening
hours. I was a member of a different writer's space that was open to
freelancers and had maybe 15 desks, and it was usually empty or with just
one or two members in a beautiful space in a great Chicago neighborhood for
just $90/month with 24/7 access: I'd guess they were getting better than a
10:1 ratio, though I don't know how many members they had. Though from the
perspective of a coworking space for freelancers, other than the lack of
regular members to give me a sense of community, it was as nice a place to
sit and work as most coworking spaces I've been in. A 10:1 member:desk
ratio! I've never heard of a coworking space oriented toward freelancers
having anything in that ballpark. Presumably writers joined these space
largely for features other than a great space to sit and write. Even though
at least the latter space was welcoming to non-writers.

Our space has all hot desks, and originally we only offered full-time
membership at a very low cost (1500 Kc, about $75 / month). I thought
there'd be a lot of people joining who just needed the space occasionally
and who wanted to be part of the community, and I was hoping I'd get a 4:1
member desk ratio, in the spirit of that writer's space, but recognizing my
members would mostly be freelancers working more hours in the space. As it
turned out, potential and actual members mostly pegged the value of
full-time use at the price I was asking ($75) and wanted less expensive
memberships if they were only going to use it part time. People who needed
the space full-time were joining, and other people weren't, and I was not
getting maybe a 1.5:1 member:desk ratio. I doubled the prices for full time
membership and introduced part-time memberships at slightly lower costs
(still more than the 1500 Kc). It worked great. People who didn't need
full-time often still signed up for it because they could see the extra
value in it relative to the part-time memberships, so I ended up getting a
better member/desk ratio even for just the full-time members than I
originally had been!

Recently a visitor to my space recommended that I radically change my
business model. He described essentially exactly what I had originally
tried (and that hadn't worked for me), and then proceeded to tell me about
a thriving Amsterdam space that offered only full-time memberships at about
$90/month that more than a hundred members even though it only had about 20
places to sit (these are ballpark numbers, I don't remember what he
specifically said). Go figure (no a members-only hash bar was not part of
the design :).

So here are the numbers for Locus Workspace in the Czech Republic right
now, keeping in mind there's a large effect of historical options (a big
portion of my members joined when Full Time membership was the only option)
and my pricing structure rewards full-time membership:

*Anchor* (Full-Time access with your own desk: CZK 6000 = ~ $300): 0 members
[But I don't include the price on the website, just the option, and I
generally sell the virtues of not getting it to people interested:]

*Full-Time* (24/7 access, no permanent desk: CZK 3600 = ~$180): 34 members
(55.7%)

*10-Day / month *(same as Full-Time, but only 10 days use of the space per
month: CZK 2400 = ~$120): 16 members (26.2%)

*Evenings & Weekends *(from 6pm to 9am, plus all day during the weekends:
CZK 1800 = ~$90): 1 member (1.6%)

*Virtual membership* (one day per month plus additional days at discount
prices, member rates on the meeting room, and additional member benefits:
CZK 1500 = ~ USD 75 for 6 months; CZK 2400 = ~ USD 120 for 1 year): 9
members (14.8%)
[6 or 12 month membership options only]

*Day Pass members *(short-term only, one day at a time, limited to day-time
hours: CZK 360 = ~$18): 0 members
[We often have some of these, just don't today; for people visiting Prague
or those who want to "test the product" before joining longer term]
*
*
*Custom *(in this case, Full-Time but limited to 12pm-4pm: CZK 2400 =
~$120): 1 member (1.6%)

*Member:Desk ratio* = ~2.3:1 (70 members:31 desks). This is across members
and based on peak-usage times. How crowded the space is varies WIDELY, from
just a few people in the space even during weekday work hours, to
essentially full. I don't ever want to have to turn members away, and so
the ratio at peak time (rather than the mean) gives me the important
measure (but it's also why I offer evenings & weekends memberships even
though there's not much demand: they don't compete for space) of how many
members I can sign up. If I were going to guess about the member:desk ratio
when limited to full-time members, I'd guess about 1.7:1, again limited to
the busiest times of day.

Best,
Will