We (Workantile) don't offer free coffee either, but it's not very expensive
at $0.75/cup. We have coffee, pop, and snacks for sale. At the end of year,
the surplus in the snack fund pays for the holiday party.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Alex Hillman
<dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > 1) space - we have 1000 sq ft total, and a galley kitchenette. we have
> hot water, boxes of tea, etc.
> > 2) location - we're surrounded by restaurants and cafes. the best coffee
> companies in the city are literally a block and half in any direction.
> > 3) noise/mess
>
> When we started (1800 square feet) we had a basic coffee pot in a galley
> kitchenette was well. It barely got used, and there was a great cafe a half
> block away.
>
> We upgraded as we grew to fill that space, and were making many group
> trips a day to the cafe. We realized that we could make the experience
> better.
>
> The coffee pot has become more valuable over time, and in more ways than
> just liquid fuel for our members.
>
> It's a gathering place, and it's one of the first "initiation" traditions,
> where a new member learns to make coffee from an existing member. Believe
> it or not…the simple act of learning to make coffee at Indy Hall is often
> one of the things that first makes people feel like they're a part of the
> community. :)
>
> At your scale, I'd say skip it until it's asked for and at that point,
> figure out the best way to offer it together!
>
> -Alex

twb
member, Workantile <http://workantile.com/>
@twbrandt