Hi Solomon,

You may be interested our project: Nexudus
Spaces<http://nexudus.spaces.nexudus.com/en-us/>,
it comes with a members directory module very similar to what you are
talking about. By default, it shows something in the lines of what Betahaus
does: grid of profile pictures with a click action for more details in a
different page. Good news is that you can edit up to the last bit of its
look and feel and change it to fit your needs.

Members can edit their profile via the website or it can be edited from the
admin panel. Profiles hold an image, summary text, social network links,
tags to filter the directory and some basic professional and contact info.

Under the hood, and in case you want to use some of it for your own
implementation:

   - The sorting and filtering is done using
isotope<http://isotope.metafizzy.co/>,
   a JavaScript library that claims it can sort just about anything.
   - The rest (fading in and out, ...) is plain CSS and some css3
   transitions. Look for the ".portfolio article" selector.

Some spaces already using it:

   - http://coworkingcolaborando.com/en-us/Directory
   - http://laindustrial.spaces.nexudus.com/en-us/Directory

More details and some screenshots:

   -
   http://help.spaces.nexudus.com/en/managers/website-members-directory.html

Project Home:

   - http://coworking.nexudus.com

We are always happy to give you a hand to make it fit what you need, if
possible :)

Adrian