Hi Liz,

Some spaces within the CoworkingToronto collective ran a trial passport
program last year. The Passport
Program<http://www.coworkingtoronto.ca/passport/>was a 9month
promotion intended for those new to coworking to try out
several different spaces at one cost (a significant discount from the cost
of a day pass at each of the 7 locations), by way of a cardstock passport
(a photo is
here<http://www.coworkingtoronto.ca/2012/03/announcing-passport-program/>).
None of the spaces financially benefited directly from the program itself,
since all of the money went back into the marketing budget for our
collective, however some spaces did get members sign up as a result of the
program.

We sold it for $75 at participating spaces, of which there were 7 (or $82
if they bought it online and wanted it mailed to them), and then for the
last third of the promotion we also ran a daily deal with
ethicalDeal<http://ethicaldeal.com/deal/67-off-a-coworking-passport-valid-for-1-day-each-at-7-office-sharing-locations-($75-value)>for
the passport to sell at $25. I managed that project, including
designing and printing the passport, writing the participation agreement,
established a tracking system using a Google docs spreadsheet that all
spaces had access to, and coordinated the media relations and the
ethicalDeal promotion.

We also made it transferable, so even though there were downtown spaces,
east end spaces, and west end spaces, if someone only lived in, say, the
east end but had a friend in the west end, they could give it (or sell it,
I suppose) to their friend to use the remaining spaces. We also ensured
that it was the size of a credit card so that it could fit into their
wallet easily.

This was the first real project that we worked on as a collective of spaces
in our city. We had attended a few events together, but it was a great
effort with promising results for when we do another one and garnered us
some good media attention as well
(here<http://www.thegridto.com/city/local-news/coworking-it-out/>,
here<http://www.techvibes.com/blog/coworking-toronto-launches-passport-a-program-to-help-discover-collaborative-work-spaces-2012-03-01>,
here<http://www.shareable.net/blog/toronto-coworking-spaces-launch-passport-program>,
and
here<http://craigbaute.com/collaboration-builds-awareness-the-coworking-passport-in-toronto/>).
Plus it provided us with some money to do things collectively the rest of
the year that didn't have to come out of our pockets.

We've talked about doing another one, either paper again or as an app, and
we learned a lot from running that promotion - from what to do if spaces
close during the promotion, to how to onboard another space when there's an
available spot on the passport, to promotion, to realising the sheer
benefits of working together as a collective. We've discussed whether we'd
do a short or longer length next time, and whether it would be paper or
digital, if we'd piggyback on another service, how we'd make some changes,
if we'd charge again (we now collect nominal annual dues for the
collective, which is what now fuels our marketing budget), etc. And this
reminds me that I should put this on our agenda for our monthly meetup on
Wed.  :-)

Though I'd really curious to see how the Seattle Collaborative Space
Alliance's 5visit mug promotion turns out too. I'll leave that to the
Seattle folks to explain, but do let me know if you have any questions
about the Toronto passport.
r.

*____________________
rachel young
*rac...@camaraderie.ca

*We're now at 2241 Dundas St W, 3rd floor*
*(between Bloor and Roncesvalles)*
*Toronto, ON  M6R 1X6*
*See details at http://bit.ly/MovingToRoncy.*

*Find us online:*