I find Benjamin's definition of a poorly run coworking space to be
interesting.

While I agree that a poorly run space that creates a shitty first
impression will likely lead to a drop-off in interest, I disagree with such
a narrow definition focusing on physical appearances.

I've been to some very dirty and disorganized spaces and loved them because
of the people making a mess inside them. I've also been to some
disturbingly clean environments where the sterility is haunting because no
one is in there to make a mess in the first place. Dallas Fort Work won't
win any awards for decor or cleanliness, but that doesn't stop the members
from inviting in guests who come cowork for a day. Almost everyone comes
back or checks out another coworking space following a recommendation.

I think what's more relevant is the human touch points a prospective
coworker comes across and whether or not they feel like they resonate with
the movement. If they feel like they're joining the future of work today,
then it doesn't really matter what the space they're in looks like. This is
where the coworking core values come into play.

If the human touch point embraces community, collaboration, openness,
accessibility, and sustainability, then the prospective coworker should
quickly understand that the space they're in is but one version of a much
larger thing. Once they get that, your coworking space, the coworking space
down the street, the other 20 in your city, are all but drops in the larger
bucket of coworking. It's actually really helpful to use your local
"competition" and your attitude toward them as evidence of movement > any
individual space.

If you're able to successfully communicate that larger message to a
prospective coworker, they'll realize that there are currently over 2,000
versions of this shared vision. At that point, they would be very foolish
to turn away from coworking based off one data point, no matter if the
space looks like it was put together for $5 or $5 million.

So in short, they're only getting it wrong if they fail to mention the
"competition".