So channeling a bit of JFK, my answer to the state level support (and even
city level support) is "Ask not what your state can do for you, but what
you can do for your state."

Here's the thing: cities and states are used to being the provider of
incentives and support. Coworking allows for a fundamentally different
model where the members of a community that the coworking space serves are
the *direct* supporters, rather than funneling things up to the city/state
and then back down again.

It's true - governments love coworking because it helps them with so many
of their goals. It's hard NOT to recognize the value that coworking can
bring in the realm of economic development, cultural and creative
inspiration, innovation, and more.

The thing is that as soon as they get involved, everything slows down. That
slow down is by design, mind you. It's their JOB to make things happen
slowly, making time to consider a far wider constituency than a single
community. I consider that a good thing in general for societies, but not a
good thing for the entrepreneur that they aim to support. It's a bit like
tying yourself to a boat anchor but pretending it's a rocket ship.

Gov't institutions usually won't admit it in public, but behind closed
doors nearly every one that I've spoken to agrees that *we* don't need
*them*.

But that doesn't mean that *they* don't need *us.*

They can learn a lot from us. Collaboration isn't something that gov'ts do
well, and it's something we do EXCEEDINGLY well. Same thing with
innovation, marketing, community building...you get the picture.

There's another interesting effect that I've seen: governments are USED to
people coming to them asking for things. When you start to have a
reputation as someone who doesn't ask for things, it becomes really easy to
talk to government people (because they're not immediately on the defense)
and it's even easier to stand out from the crowd.

Even something as simple as getting a city official to vocally support
something can make other things easier. We've been able to accelerate
permits for projects and other annoying bureaucratic things because we
didn't ask for things when we didn't need it, and instead focused on
building relationships with people who work in government and helping *them
-* our public servants - *do their job.*

It's a fundamentally different approach than people are used to, but it's
an approach that I think hits on all 5 of the coworking core values, too.

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia