This sounds *ridiculously* familiar. This was us a little more than a year
ago. In addition to launching without an established community, we opened
up with "punchcard" rates ($xx for y days to use whenever they want), which
didn't encourage any sort of regular usage.

We took extreme measures to combat five months of loneliness: We switched
up to a membership based system, promoted the hell of it, and had a
"membership drive" week: Free for everyone for a solid week, and members
who signed up during that week got 50% off their membership for the first
six months. I can't say whether or not that will work in all situations,
but it was what finally got us a good, solid crew of 13 members coming in
on a regular basis. From that point on, we've had continual 7-10% growth
each month.