When we first opened Cohere 4.5 years ago we had done a few weeks of
community building in advance so we have 15 or so people already on the
hook but some of founding members came during the very first month. I
offered free coworking for a whole month to get things rolling. With the
recent opening of Cothere a few weeks ago I only did the grand opening day
as free but offered anyone who signed up ON THAT DAY a free upgrade to the
next level of membership for a month. That was super effective and we
signed up 7 new members right away. I think having a small window of
opportunity to sign up was really helpful in getting people to pull the
trigger.

As for events, the following have been super successful
Frank Fridays: started as a group field trip to a hotdog stand but then we
got tired of hotdogs so it changed to just eating lunch together and each
week one member would tell us about themselves and seek advice or help.
Potlucks: we've dabbled in pancake day, chili cookoff day and others. Food
is important. Also Pizza. Because Pizza. People are always happy to pitch
in a couple bucks too for Pizza. Because Pizza.

Monthly breakfast at the most delicious breakfast place. We've been doing
this for 4 years. I limit RSVPs to 8 so everyone can hear each other. I
prepare ONE question for the group (in the car, on the way to the meetup
and it's usually seasonally appropriate) and we go around and answer that
after we order food. This event has been the most popular and longest
lasting of any event. It is also evenly split between members/non-members.
Example questions I have asked: What's an awesome project that you've
worked on recently? What's a project you've declined and why? If you could
what would it be? When's the last time you really fucked up? Who are you
most thankful for? We often say that you trade one stress for another when
you choose to freelance--what stresses have you traded? Tell us something
you need help with. Here's a link to that meetup--we also forbid ninja
starring people with biz
cards. http://www.meetup.com/Coherecommunity/events/188574532/

We've had a 14 class series completely developed and run by the members.
That was amazing! Topics ranged from SEO tricks to self care.

Any member is welcome to use our meetup group to plan and market their own
events as long as the event is happening at Cohere or planned by a Cohere
member.

The most recent event we're doing is Foregoing Home Connectivity for 5
days. The idea of this has actually caused a little conflict in the group
which has been incredible..then they remembered that I can't force them to
do anything and they calmed down :) I am planning this event as a strategic
way to get lots of bodies coworking for 5 solid days--to get them hooked
again and remember why coworking is so great. Sometimes I feel that because
Cohere has been around so long they get in a "oh, I'll just go tomorrow"
mentality so this is a way to invite participation and try something that
makes us all a little panicky. ANYONE in the world is welcome to join us.
It would be fun to get to know new people in far away coworking space as we
share the experience.  Here is the link to that one.

That's just a handful of the 100 things we've done over the past 4 years.
Generally, the most successful events are those that are thought up and
executed by members for the benefit of the whole.

-Angel