On Tuesday, 16 September 2014 23:10:20 UTC+1, Aaron Cruikshank wrote:

> I asked a professional editor friend of mine and this is what she had to
> say:
>
> "I think usually the style guides follow the dictionary, and the
> dictionary is descriptive, not prescriptive. I just had Roma check
> Webster's, and she says there's no entry for "coworking," just "coworker,"

What Webster might that be? The printed unabridged 3rd edition spells
"co-worker"

... getting a dictionary entry will be easier than convincing AP. The style
> guides will follow."

Yes, that's the way to go. Webster has an online form for new word
proposals. But I think we should submit a file of inter-related words. Note
the difference between "co-worker" and "coworker" is syntactical (used in
sentences of different structure), not only semantical. The following is of
course tentative, to be discussed. The examples should be replaced by real
samples.

cowork (verb)
   to work at a coworking space
   "I cowork at ExampleCoworkingSpace"

co-worker (noun)
   one who works with another : a fellow worker [sic]
   "she's a co-worker of mine at Apple"

coworker (noun)
   person who attends a coworking space
   "I'm a coworker at ExampleCoworkingSpace"

coworking (noun)
   the act of independent professionals working in the same place and
sharing resources
   "coworking space": a facility where coworking takes place

(What about "coworking community" and "coworking movement"? I had included
that at first, but decided to leave it out. The concepts of community and
movement in these phrases are the conventional ones, so the meaning is
composed.)