Hi All,

Apologies in advance for being intentionally controversial, but this
conversation about coworking with or without the hyphen nags at me and I
figure I should say what I think about it even if I know it's going to be
unpopular (and even if I don't really have a horse in the race).

*I DON'T SEE WHY IT MATTERS HOW YOU SPELL COWORKING*
First, I do spell coworking, "coworking" and I have a coworking space, and
if anyone asks me about spelling for anything associated with my space, I
spell it without a hyphen. All that said, I do NOT think this is an
important issue... at all.

I think the issue that has been made of it--basically that "co-working"
with a hyphen has a different meaning and that there's value in
disambiguating that confusion--is off base and not linguistically
justified. And my completely data-lacking working hypothesis is that some
part of the reason change hasn't come on this issue is that the vast
majority of people, including people running coworking spaces, agree, so
they don't get involved (but also don't care, this perspective is neutral
with respect to whether there should or shouldn't be a hyphen).

*WHY IS THE DEBATE ABOUT THE SPELLING OF COWORKING A RED HERRING?*
First, even if coworking and co-coworking really were two distinct common
words, it would be fine to spell them the same way. We know whether we are
talking about co-working with people who work at the same company and
coworking with people in a coworking space not because of the hyphen, but
because of the context. The words are pronounced exactly the same and we
need to be clear enough in communication to have the context distinguish so
that we can have a reasonable conversation off paper. Even if we were
primarily communicating only in written language, we'd always be confronted
with people who didn't know which spelling was which, and so coworking is
*always*--in my experience--couched in a context that makes it clear that
it refers to the activity we're all intimately familiar with. If coworking
were spelled co-working it would be one of the thousands of other words
that have homonyms/homophones that don't cause us trouble every day.

Second, language is adaptive and it adapts to the needs of its users. If
the ability to communicate coworking would be meaningfully enhanced by
removing the hyphen, that would likely happen over time organically, as it
tends to do. But I don't see how the ability to communicate the concept
would be hampered in any way by using a hyphen instead of leaving in off.

Third, the hyphen is there in the first place for a reason. Coworking
without the hyphen is more naturally read cow-orking, as many of us and
many not on this list have observed. Cow is already a dominant word in the
English language and our brains work in such a way that for most people not
reading and thinking about coworking on a regular basis, that's the reading
that would  come more naturally, especially as there is a word co-worker,
that is semantically very closely related to our word, that has a hyphen.
The hyphen there allows our brains to unambiguously read and pronounce that
word as it ought to be read and pronounced, without wasting unnecessary
tiny fractions of unconscious seconds thinking about how to
read/pronounce/interpret the word. :) This is the only one of my arguments
against neutrality on the spelling, and it tends toward including the
hyphen.

Fourth, and finally, co-working (describing working with people in the same
company) and coworking (describing our industry), and the two terms
derivative words, are not actually terms with high usage overlap. Search
for "co-working" or "coworking" on Google, and it will refer to our
industry almost 100% of the time. That's because people don't refer to the
activity of working alongside co-workers in a company as "co-working". They
call it going to work.

Similar, people generally don't need to refer to people who we work with in
a coworking space as coworkers. That would be confusing. Because it's just
too much like the word that already exists that describes people you work
with in the same company (co-workers). And a difference in a hyphen would
just not solve that problem, since the words are pronounced identically and
have very similar meaning, and so we'd need to use the context to
differentiate anyway. Search for coworkers or co-workers on Google, and
again, it will almost always refer to people who work together in a
company, not people who work in a coworking space. The language usage of
these words is non-overlapping enough that even if the first three points
here were wrong, there's no real issue with ambiguity.

That's also why we don't need to worry about it from a marketing/keyword
point of view. If you use the keyword co-working or coworking, you don't
have to worry that someone searching on the Internet for something related
to people who work together in a company will stumble upon you, because
that's just not the word anyone looking for that would use. Ditto, on the
opposite side, for people searching for co-worker or coworker. You'd be
foolish to use that as a keyword for your coworking space because anyone
using that expression is looking for things related to the people they work
with in a company.

Anyway, that's my take on this issue. I love this community. I'm happy to
spell it coworking because that's the preferred spelling from people active
in building this community from earlier on. But do I think it matters?
Almost not at all. And to the extend I do think it matters, from a purely
linguistic/communicative point of view, co-working, with a hyphen, would be
the preferred spelling. I think it's worth getting that counter-argument
out there, since I think the main reason it's not being made is that the
people on this side of the issue don't think it's important enough, not
because this side of the argument doesn't have merit.

Will