You can get away with imperfections in the space when the community vibe is
good. It’s much, much harder to get away with cultural dysfunction (or
nonexistence) when the space is good.

It’s not debate of if space OR community is valuable or important. Both are
important.

What’s important is that the returns in absence of each other are unbalanced.

Here’s what I’ve observed across LOTS of different styles/kinds/scales/breeds
of coworking, including “dedicated" coworking spaces like what many of us run,
but also including some of the bigger patterns in how/where people work in
other kinds of businesses & corporations.

Perfectly designed, beautiful, ergonomic, and inspiring spaces without an
attractive culture are the ones that find themselves weak for new membership,
weak to retain their members, and very, very difficult to sustain without
constantly applying pressure.

I’ve seen the lack of community lead to the burnout and closure of a LOT of
beautiful coworking spaces that people seem to be “impressed" by. Meanwhile,
the returns on well designed spaces is MULTIPLIED by a great community.

Take this out of the context of coworking for a second to see what I mean:
companies are spending FORTUNES to create beautifully designed spaces to
inspire their employees to create, collaborate, and be more productive…and they
expect to get a return on those investments. If a company spends hundreds of
thousands to millions of dollars on an office, they expect that it can generate
some multiple of that more in recruitment, retention, collaboration, and
innovation.

What I’ve learned along the way is that most of these companies design the
space intentionally, but don’t do anything to design the culture of the company
with the same intent. When the culture and the space design aren’t congruent,
those hopeful returns are very hard to realize…

When those companies put even a fraction of the effort and intention into
designing the culture of the community as they do the space, the results are
tremendous.

COMBINE those two efforts, and the results are unparalleled :)

-Alex