Hi,

We are about to open a coworking space in a small town in Belgium. +/-
30,000 inhabitants, but the Grand-Duchy of Luxemburg is just 30min drive
from here.

Our space isn’t open yet, and luckily enough the city council gave us a
place for free for two years.

Our problem is that we need 5000€ to renovate the place.

We started a crowdfunding campaign on Ulule.com <http://ulule.com/>[*], but
since our target audience is located in a very small radius, the struggle
to communicate about who we are, what we want to achieve, and why we need
help is a very hard business.

So, the question here is :

- Was it (crowdfunding) a good choice since the target audience is very
much limited ?

- Does anyone have a feedback of that kind of funding in that kind of
population ?

- How did you manage to pay your own renovations ?

PS : we are a non-profit organisation, that's why external investment is
not an option for us

Thanks

Cédric

[*] http://fr.ulule.com/greenlabcoworking-arlon/

> Hi,
> We have opened a coworking in a small city in Noth West of Italy (
> www.ubloom.it).
> Same experience: a lot of people say they find it interesting, but in six
> months we have achieved to have very few members (some 20) and occasional
> users...
> Do you think it's a matter of novelty? Or it's really a luck of a need?
>
> Regards,
> Massimo
>
> Il giorno martedì 3 febbraio 2015 18:33:48 UTC+1, M.E. Ralph ha scritto:
>>
>> Wow! I can't believe how eerily similar our stories are! I'm going into
>> my third year now and my biggest challenge has been educating my community
>> on what coworking is and how it can benefit them. The town I live in is
>> about 32,000 in population with a strong history in the mining industry.
>> There is a small group of bright and forward thinking individuals , though,
>> that want to see our economy here revitalized by other industries. At
>> times, there seems to be a strong sentiment against these ideas and how
>> quickly technology is advancing. There is the fear that this small laid
>> back town will end up like the dreaded "big city" just an hour east of
>> us. Because I currently have no members, I supplement my income with
>> another part time job and teaching one on one computer classes. Someday,
>> this will make sense to these people. Meanwhile, I press on. Isn't this
>> what makes up "pioneers"?
>>
>> On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 10:36:42 AM UTC-7, AltamontCowork wrote:
>>>
>>> All:
>>>
>>> I wrote about my experience at AltamontCowork the past five years.
>>>
>>> I still believe that coworking is a wonderful concept,  but,  I also,
>>> now,  believe that it will still take time to catch on everywhere.
>>>
>>> The millenials will make it happen everywhere.....us old folks who can't
>>> grasp the open collaborative nature of the new office just need to step
>>> aside.  [image: 😃]
>>>
>>> COWORKING in a Small Town: Lessons Learned - http://wp.me/p4w4ad-14L
>>>
>>  --

Bousmanne Cédric