In Rennes (France) we opted for glass carafes for water and reusable
plastic cups such as the ones you find in music festivals (+ it's a great
marketing medium - you can print on it)

We also have a can crusher that allowed us to reduce consequently the
volume in our trashbags while recycling (aluminum is very easy to recycle).
So we have a can trash and ask people to crunch their cans first.

For big events, we have a policy with some catering companies: we ask them
to take back the trash with them. (not all of them, most don't want to
comply)

advantages :
- you don't have to pack your own bins
- they are generally equiped and able to recycle (we aren't)
- they realize how much people waste and can adjust quantities for the next
time

Thanks for your own tips!
Karine