Ah, I missed that part of your question, saw the "1 year" in the subject
and that's what stuck :)

>From what I've seen, most spaces have one of two experiences in their
initial months:

1 - Lots of fanfare and excitement, often fueled by membership pre-sales
and the opening itself...but the initial excitement dies down quickly. This
isn't unique to coworking, this is a pretty common launch graph for all
sorts of businesses. A spike, followed by a cliff.

2 - A lot of tire-kickers. Curious people, but very few *buyers*. This can
be VERY demotivating. "Why aren't these people coming back? What are we
doing wrong?"

In both cases, *empty room syndrome* is a tough situation to overcome. Andy
Soell gave some great advice about how to overcome this challenge here:
http://dangerouslyawesome.com/2014/06/how-i-turned-an-empty-coworking-space-into-a-coworking-community/

*Also....*there's no amount of advertising or promotion that works as well
as getting outside of your space and meeting people where they are. At this
stage, think of it less like promotion and more like dating :) This was one
of the very first topics I talked about on The Coworking Weekly Show,
episode #2 here:
http://listen.coworkingweekly.com/episodes/5491-ep2-sooooooo-how-do-you-get-members-for-your-coworking-community-askcoworkingweekly

-Alex

*The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.*
Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com
Listen to the podcast: http://dangerouslyawesome.com/podcast