Hello Glen,

I would work with the hotel to try to retain participants before/after
their conventions (more nights for the hotel, more transient members for
the coworking space). I'd offer organizers of conventions to introduce the
town and local community in Frederick and direct participants to Cowork
Frederik just across the street to learn more. I'd make Frederick the
easiest interface for visitors staying at the Mariott to get in touch with
local professionals, businesses, etc. (would involve cityhall if they show
interest?).

In those deals, Cowork Frederick are those most knowledgeable about the
local market / opportunities / conditions.

By the way, I read this post because we have this sort of similar "great
opportunity or a terrible threat" thing over here in Tbilisi, Georgia (the
country). A large group is renovating a factory not far from us to create a
budget hotel/hostel (400 beds). The project includes shops, cafés, art
galleries & workshops, etc. and a 300 square meters coworking space. We
could bid to set-up & run that space (assuming we can fund this) or see it
opened by someone else (... knowing that nobody has yet demonstrated the
viability of coworking in this country - we're first to try).

In any case: good luck!

Rémi.
http://cospot.ge