Hello Alex,

This was one of the topics that came up at our bi-annual Cobot
<http://cobot.me> retreat too.  We have always had the tagline "*More Time
for your Coworkers*" - because we feel that the primary way to build
community is getting out there face to face and building community.  But
over the years, we have the feeling too that it is time to be more active
on adding the community building and personal matching tools right into
Cobot (coming soon to a software near you).

But that being said, I think that there are also a lot of ways to built it
within the space with events and the matchmaking that comes through with
it. That is also one of the keys of co-up <http://co-up.de>, our own space.
 We have been hosting meet-ups, especially programming oriented meetups and
don't charge room rent as long as they don't collect fees from the
attendees.  For us it has been perfect because we are know throughout the
community for being the host, and for being a space where people can run
into each other. We know who to refer questions too and there is something
for everyone (who programms). It becomes the identity of the space.

*But how can that be automated? *
You need to open the space, coordinate meetings, find willing coordinators.
be available. Sure the scheduling can be automated, but that is a small
piece of the pie...

*Where does software come into the picture then...*
We are putting our bet on "intelligent matching". Increasing serendipity.
Right now the referrals, are coming through our staff, but we want someone
in the Rails Girls group to be able to meetup with someone from the Coding
Amigos if they are both currently working on a front-end web project. And
to encourage people to contact people who arrive on other nights.

Some of this is done through our Slack channel / integration. But *a social
platform that helps with matching* is really the key.
No space manager, no matter how good they are can keep the individual
quirks of 100+ members in their head, especially when people are coming for
extra events as well!

*Increasing the Building of Community is the Holy Grail of Coworking!*
And it is what will always set independent spaces apart from the big
"coworking" operations.

Maybe we can push it further at GCUC in LA!