Hey Trisha!

It has a lot to do with how people join the community in the first place,
and the existing cultural context.

If people join with a mindset of it being about renting workspace, then
people will come in with those intentions.

If people join specifically because they intend to benefit from a community
and programs that will help them grow their businesses and make friends,
then they'll come in expecting to talk to people–because it's what they're
paying for.

The former scenario is a pretty commoditized thing that lots of people are
rubber-stamping now. A nice looking space with desk and wifi isn't
particularly impressive and hard to differentiate these days.

The latter scenario is more fun for you and compelling for the prospective
coworker. For this reason, I strongly advocate for creating a way to invite
people to join your community through an intentional, interactive program.

In my old space, I was most effective doing this by running a thing called
Cotivation <http://cotivation.co>, a collaborative motivation and
goal-setting group.

I aimed it towards freelancers who needed to share some accountability to
keep them focused, and it worked really well–the people who joined the
community because of that program were far more likely to be social with
each other and newcomers. Lots of other good community things spun off from
that.

So my suggestion to you would be: come up with something along those lines.

Happy to chat with you off-list about helping you get a Cotivation or
similar group going!

Tony

*---*
*New Work Cities <http://nwc.co/consulting>*
*Doing everything we can to help coworking spaces thrive!*
[image: Inline image 8] <http://tonybacigalupo.com/>[image:
http://twitter.com/tonybgoode] <http://twitter.com/tonybgoode>[image:
http://facebook.com/tonybacigalupo] <http://facebook.com/tonybacigalupo>[image:
http://linkedin.com/in/tonybacigalupo]