I'm home fighting off a bug today and was digging through some old threads
here on the group, and found this one that I never got around to chiming in
on...and I wish I had because this question shows up more and more in my
channels, especially for community staff that have been hired and are
essentially "inheriting" a challenge of turning a room full of still
relatively disconnected people into a dynamic, interactive community.

Tony's point about the early expectations are definitely of note -
expectations are important no matter *what* stage you're at.

There's one fundamental that I think plays out across ALL community
building exercises: create opportunities for people to talk and discover
things about one another that they have in common
<https://dangerouslyawesome.com/2014/04/community-management-tummling-a-tale-of-two-mindsets/>.
Psychologist Carl Rogers said *"that which is most personal, is most
universal." *In simple terms: get people in a place where they can share
something personal about themselves and good things happen.

Here's a couple of things we've suggested for people in your situation, and
that we do ourselves when we're looking for ways to rejuvenate our own
community:

*1 - Everybody has to eat. *Depending on your community, breakfasts,
lunches, and dinners might work better but finding a time when people were
going to have a meal and inviting people to have that meal together.

During our member lunches, we often let people mingle and chat on their own
for a little bit and then "warm up" the group by having everyone go around
and say their name and something about themselves. We pick a prompt
question like..."what's something you recently started learning" or "what's
the best thing that happened to you in the last week" or "what's your
favorite spot in Philly that nobody seems to know about." This gives
everyone a chance to share something small and simple, learn what they have
in common, and there are ALWAYS conversations that extend beyond the lunch.

You don't even HAVE to provide lunch, just a time and a place for people to
bring theirs often is enough to get started. Down the road you can get
fancy and try pot luck sharing...but I say down the road because that's
much easier once people are *already *in the mind/mood for sharing.

Sharing a meal is probably the simplest to execute, lowest barrier to
entry, beginner community building event. Don't be afraid to personally
invite people one-on-one. They might say "no" but that doesn't mean "no,
not ever" it usually means *"not this time, I'm busy!" *or *"no, that
doesn't sound especially interesting to me" *(which is a clue that you need
to figure out what WOULD be interesting to them).

Personal invites are super important - you might be worried about bothering
people, but the alternative perspective is people saying* "I didn't know
that was happening, why didn't you tell me!?" * :)

*2 - Group Projects/Activities. *This move is a bit more advanced than a
community meal, but works VERY well when executed properly.

There's sooooo many ways to do it, too. Here's a couple that have worked
well:

- You could find a local charity that is having a volunteer day, and rally
some members to participate in volunteering together.

- There might be something in the space that needs improving, and your
members very likely have ideas for how to make it better. DIY projects are
*awesome* for fixing problems in coworking spaces partly because they can
save money but more importantly because they give people a sense of pride
and ownership once they've played an active roll in making the space.

- Is there a band or show coming to town that people would want to go to
together? Or the opening of a new park, or museum, or other activity? Don't
feel like everything needs to happen in the space. My favorite "hack" is to
ask members what stuff they do for fun (movies, music, books, food, sports,
etc) and then ask "is any of that more fun when you're doing it with
others?" and when the answer is yes, suggest that they organize a group to
do that within the community.

Again the goal with ALL of these ideas is not to get 100% participation in
any of them...but to get even a small core group of 5-10 people to come
together in a way that you can make visible to the rest of the
community...which starts the snowball rolling downhill.

*This last part is SUPER important: the key to success, especially with an
otherwise "dormant" community is, to do it more than once. *

Lots of people try something once, maybe aren't super impressed with the
turnout (*"it was just a couple of people!"*), and decide not to ever do it
again. Don't act like it's a failure, or else it will be one.  *In reality,
if two people are there it's a success.*

Instead, follow through and next time you let people know there's going to
be a member lunch, talk about the great conversations you had last time to
get people interested in the next one. Small successes add up to bigger
successes over time, and in a community setting, growth really tends to
pick up once you've created something contageous.

I really hope this helps *lots* of people. If you try any of these ideas
(or modify them in some cool way) I'd love to hear about it!

-Alex

*The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.*
Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org
Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com
My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten