Hey Alex,

I just purchased your audiobook and plan to listen to it today. I'm excited
about it!

Here's the deal with my situation. I had been posting on FB for a while about
coworking, when a person I've known for a few years messaged me and asked if we
could meet. She and her husband (I've known them both for several years.) had
bought a house on Main St that used to be a law office building. They'd been
kind of sitting on it more or less for a few months not really having much of
an idea what to do with it. Then, they saw my posts, and thought it was an
interesting idea.

So we met at the house and started walking through. I told them my thoughts,
and I even started to give specifics on potential layout.

This all transitioned to a meeting where they suggested allowing me to have the
run of the first floor for coworking. They would pay for all the upfitting and
furnishing and even get the exact furniture I specified on. They would pay for
the networking of the building, security, insurance, maintenance and
landscaping, and even the monthly internet bill.

This all sounded great to me because I have little to no capital right now, and
it allowed me the opportunity to get started right away without having to
fundraise, etc. They seem really excited about the idea, about working with me,
and how it could be positive for our community. They've even said they will be
limiting the upstairs tenants to one-year leases so that if the coworking space
takes off, we can have the upstairs too for expansion.

I've tried a couple times to bring up what our lease agreement would be, as
well as what our business relationship would be, specifically. So far, all they
have said is that they want to give the space the best chance to succeed, so
instead of giving a hard number or specific lease, they would just take a
percentage of what comes in at first as we get on our feet. There's been no
discussion beyond that. I wasn't really anxious about it until a week or so ago
when multiple mentors in my life advised me to get things nailed down.

Here's what I'm proposing. (I would LOVE your feedback!):

- I will go ahead and incorporate under an LLC for the coworking business so
I'm protected.
- I will pay for the internet for the downstairs to keep things neater.
- I'll also have my own insurance/liability policy for the downstairs and my
business.
- I will suggest that if they are indeed paying for 100% of the upfit, they
will get 100% of what comes in, minus my monthly bills/expenses (internet,
insurance, coffee/amenities, Nexudus subscription, maintenance), until they
recoup all of their expenses for upfit. (I run my own web/graphic design
company, and I do not intend for the coworking space to be a source of revenue
for me at first. I hear that a lot of spaces are not profitable for the first
year anyway, so it seems this would work out.)
- If the space fails (don't want to think that way but things happen) my
company and I would not be on the hook for the rest of the expenses, but we
also would not get to keep anything. They bought it. They keep it.
- Once they've recouped everything, we'd convert to a standard lease agreement
and negotiate at that point as to what the terms would be.

I understand that puts me a little more at their mercy when it comes to the
negotiating later down the road because if the space really takes off, they
could ask an arm and a leg for rent. However, it allows me to start without
capital, and to really get the model on its feet with no overhead or debt, and
then if they do end up being unreasonable about the rent amount, I still own
the business and can take it elsewhere as an attractive commodity.

I'm pretty much begging for input. :)

Thanks!