This sounds super, super messy.

Part of the reason Indy Hall has been around for a decade is because my #1
goal from the beginning was for the community to be self-sufficient in
supporting the space it calls home. Can bad things happen? Of course,
that's life, and we went through some of the hardest times in the last 2
years when our landlord tried to strong arm me into buying the building we
were in, and I called their bluff. But I knew that our worst case scenario
there was that our community supported itself. We weren't bound to that
landlord, just like we're not bound to anybody but ourselves. (sidenote:
during our real estate search I interacted with >120 landlords, and from
them found two that I'd even *consider* working with, and one of them who
I'd consider a joint venture with. the only reason I'd consider a JV is
because of his industry credibility and ours are reasonably matched, and we
both bring value *besides *the deal to the table.

It lets us say yes to stuff other people wouldn't be able to, and lets us
say no to stuff that other coworking spaces feel obligated to. Own your
shit. Future you (and your future community members) will thank you.

All of the "ifs" in your proposal mean that this scenario is based around
ambiguity and protecting *your* downsides. On their end, you're
interchangeable with any other tenant, and they're in the drivers seat. If
your job is looking out for the best long-term interests of your community
(p.s. that's what your job is), then this would put the community at risk
of being "homeless" and unable to support ourselves. It might seem harder
now, but learning to be self-sufficient when you're tiny is a LOT easier
than learning it later, and when the pressure is on.

When you listen to that chapter about partnership, I talk a bit about
managing upsides and downsides, including an example of a landlord coming
to someone who runs a coworking space and offering them the world...a deal
that seemed great on paper but meant that the landlord had all of the
leverage to put his community out on their asses when a better biz
opportunity came along. And guess what happened....

I know there are people on this list who have done Joint Ventures, and some
people who advocate strongly for them. I'm not one of them, because I've
seen far more go south than have worked out. Obviously, your milage may
vary.

-Alex

*The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.*
Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org
Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com
My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten