For the device MAC to user account association I wrote a simple ARP scan script
which is thus vendor independent. The user does need to hit a local webserver
(could just be a simple HTTP port handler with the ARP script) which then uses
the ARP table to lookup their MAC address from their LAN IP, redirecting the
request to the management app with the MAC as a param to record the initial
association. If the user is already signed into the app, this process is (or
could be) completely transparent to them. The script obviously also
transparently checks-in newly connected MACs, and checks them out when they
disappear.

Of course the initial HTTP redirection needs to be performed somehow, such as
by a captive portal, which means updating its whitelist with the MAC once
checked in…

I never however used a captive portal for this, preferring instead to chivvy
users to the authoritative website (or 'set them up' when they first visit) --
not of course appropriate if complete checkin coverage is needed, but in
combination with RFID almost all users are covered thus adequate for my
purposes at least.

It's good to hear the RouterBoards can handle so many devices, although that's
not really the metric that concerned me but is/was rather the latency they can
add, especially without extensive knowledge of network tuning in bandwidth
restricted scenarios. For the average setup, out of the box solutions like
Ubiquiti have been a better choice even though the AP controller system is
rather opaque (that API browser is neat though!).

Actually just had a look at the latest RouterBoards, the CloudCore line sound
pretty good for busier spaces, is this what you've had experience with? I'd
probably be happy running captive portal and QoS queues on it, and make up the
difference in cost (against Ubiquiti) with simpler APs :) Seems like setting up
for roaming and so on still isn't as easy as with UniFi APs though…