I am curious if anyone is using Spheremail for this and what input they
have about it.

We notify people either via Whatsapp or email, their choice.

About once a quarter we send people whose mail has been hanging around, a
reminder to come get mail within two weeks and if they do not we charge
them for archiving.  This charge amounts to like nothing but for some
reason it does get the people who have not, to show up.